Tuesday, November 6, 2018

BLOG 9: Alex Gamsu Jenkins

Alex Gamsu Jenkins is an English illustrator from South London. His work is filled with absurdist and surrealist themes that normally serve as a way to further express the strangeness of the situation depicted. I love Jenkins's use of the abstraction in terms of the human figure, his "characters" are silly looking humanoid creatures portrayed in precarious situations. I believe that this purposeful abstraction allows for the onlooker to "other" one's self from the figures in the illustration and realize how strange the things we do really are.

Image result for alex gamsu jenkins

Related image

Related image

Image result for alex gamsu jenkins

Related image


6 comments:

  1. I find this artist's work to be very cartoon like. I like how different each of his pieces are. I don't know why, and there is almost a disturbing element to his work. I think you chose a very interesting artist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

  3. I really love this artist! From first glance, I was very drawn to his piece. Overall, it looks extremely aesthetically pleasing with the color theme and the illustration. I also find the surrealism aspect of his pieces make the piece more interesting and eye catching! I also like how his pieces comments on society and the negative affect its giving on humans. He conveyed that aspect really well through his illustrations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the work u have posted, it was pretty nice. I like it because of its realistic topic and cartoon like style. I will love to learn more about the political message it expressed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This artist is very interesting! I especially love the piece of the worm-like person on a computer. I really admire this style and I'm glad I've learned about him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's like irony realism and emoting manga coalition. And I like that he used bright tone and cosmic style but still feel dark atmosphere.

    ReplyDelete